With the Pandemic going, Gaining weight during Indoors/ lockdown is quite natural as everyone is home and moms, wives and sisters all spending their time watching new recipes on youtube and making different recipes from cakes, samosas, jalebi, dimsums and to what not to keep their families happy and knock out stress & anxiety during this extended lockdown period.
So here I am discussing and sharing few secrets :
1. Eat Foods high in Protein: Diet rich in protein reduces the feeling of hunger, fills you up faster, keeps you full for longer time. It also balances blood sugar, which leads to more stable energy, less hunger, and fewer cravings. And the main fact is that, by replacing carbs and fat with protein, you reduce the hunger hormone and boost several satiety hormones. As a result It can make you eat fewer calories automatically.
2. Eat foods high in fibre : High-fiber diets are great for so many reasons— they keep you full and can help with weight loss, are heart healthy, and are great for your gut and reducing overall inflammation. Fibre contains “Good” bacteria, wherein colon use this kind of fiber as a food source, and it may help control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Adding fiber to your diet can be easy and delicious A high-fiber cereal or oatmeal with berries on top is a great way to start the day. For lunch, enjoy a salad sprinkled with chickpeas or kidney beans and some nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, or pecans). Make a stir-fry for dinner using a variety of vegetables, and top with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
3. Get enough Exercise: Our bodies love movement. Our bodies respond well to regular and physical activity. Exercise kills boredom, makes a monotonous day an interesting one, all should try to add to some to your routine daily. You don’t have to run a marathon. You just play your favourite music, do a skype dance with your gym friend, include kids and exercise together in a group on a favourite number. Or doing yoga or skipping. Exercise not only improves mental health but boosts blood circulation to whole body and promotes hair & nails growth and glowing skin.
4. Keep up with your Water Intake: Water helps the kidneys to filter toxins and waste while the organ retains essential nutrients and electrolytes. When the body is dehydrated, the kidneys retain fluid. Replacing even a few high-calorie drinks each day for water or other no-calorie beverages, such as herbal tea, may have long-term weight loss benefits.
5. Cutting on refined carbohydrates and refined foods: We should be able to distinguish between good carbs and bad carbs by reading the label of products. We should avoid sugar rich foods like cakes, white breads, doughnuts, crepes, waffles while in Indoors, specially after our meals or after 7pm, as this will spike our insulin levels, and will straight get on to your tummy. Go for complex carbohydrates like oats, barley, ragi which gets digested at a slow rate keeping us full for a longer period, keeping us away from cravings.
6. Time your Carbohydrates: People trying to lose weight should avoid carbohydrates after 6 pm, because the digestion slows down after sunset. If we eat all our meals before 7 pm, we are able to digest better.
7. Eat more seasonal Fruits & Vegetables: Eating 2-3 serving of fruits and 3-4 servings of vegetables in a day not only helps in weight loss but are a benchmark of healthy and balanced lifestyle. Certain Fruits and vegetables are very rich in antioxidants and fiber benefiting overall health.
8. Fat is vital: Consuming good fats eating nuts and seeds daily can keep sugar levels and hormones stable. Good fats (Unsaturated fats) in Nuts and Seeds protects from heart diseases and may even lengthen your life. We found that people who ate nuts every day lived longer, healthier lives than people who didn’t eat nuts. Just don’t over-do it.
9. Eat Small meals like 5-6 meals a day: Eating 5-6 small meals a day keeps metabolism high, burns calories as well as keeps cravings at bay.