7 Smart Ways to Manage Cravings !!
“A food craving is an intense desire for a specific food.” To some people, the desire to eat specific food can seem unmanageable, and the person’s hunger may not be satisfied until they eat that particular food.
Food cravings are a major roadblock for people trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight.
Often, the craving is for foods high in sugar, carbs, salts and fats. Food cravings are caused by the regions of the brain that are responsible for memory, pleasure and reward.
An imbalance of hormones, such as leptin and serotonin, can also cause food cravings.
Luckily, there are some simple steps to take to handle these cravings.
- Drink lot of water : First & Foremost is to Drink enough of Water as the body can misinterpret signals from brain , like what feels like a food craving might be a sign of thirst. Whenever, you feel sudden urge to eat something salty/spicy/sweet, try having a large glass of lukewarm water and wait for a while. You may notice, the craving is fading away. So one should keep a regular intake of fluids, like green tea, coconut water, lemon water, any detox water, etc
- Eating Protein in 2 meals reduces appetite: Protein being the most filling macro nutrient, reduces the level of hunger hormone-Grehlin, which also keeps your stomach feel full, and leading to eating fewer calories in whole day. Also, by Eating protein-rich food, body burns more calories to convert the amino acid to lean tissue than when eaten carbs.
- Having a healthy breakfast: Eating wholesome breakfast in the morning consisting of eggs, oats, fruits, whole grains can increase dopamine levels, giving signals to brain helps curbs appetite and one tends to eat less in later lunch hour. Also skipping breakfast and obesity has been linked. Studies say that breakfast eaters weigh less than breakfast skippers.
- Have 8 hours sleep: Sleep Deprivation can disturb Grehlin hormone producing it in large amounts which leads to increased appetite and hunger. On the other hand, sleeping continuous 8 hours produces Leptin hormone, suppressing your food cravings, keeping levels of food intake and fat storage in control and a balanced immune system.
- Include Magnesium and Zinc in Diet: Magnesium and Zinc are required for Glucose regulation and utilization, controls blood pressure and a good sleep. Body has its own ways to cover for its deficiencies which leads to hunger pangs, causing craving of chocolates and sweet candies, sweet meat, etc, While Zinc imbalances can manifest as Sugar Cravings. So one should include Nuts and seeds, eggs, spinach, oats, quinoa in diet.
- Make Smart Swaps: Eating mindfully is crucial to cut back your sugar & salty cravings. Choosing the right & healthy alternative to unhealthy fats and sugars can take your health long way. ” Eat Wise , Drop a Size” For eg,
- Swapping milk chocolate to Dark chocolate,
- Normal butter to Nut butter, going for Cashew butter, Almond Butter
- Add vinegar to diet: This tact of adding apple cider vinegar with Carb-heavy meals can help in regulating Diabetes and Insulin levels, also aids in managing your appetite. One can Drizzle Apple cider Vinegar over your salads, water can really help in Weight loss by curbing your sugar cravings.
In another burst the reality, it is basically the nutritional deficits that drive food cravings to replace the nutrient.
In actuality, it is the complexity of a person, not so much the complexity of foods, that induces such strong urges. An individual is influenced by personal, emotional, physiological and social pressures in making food choices. We always use cravings as a way to justify their consumption.
In real sense we don’t “need” to eat chocolate. We crave chocolate because it’s such an amazing sensory taste. It’s creamy, sweet, mouth-melting-smooth, aromatic and extremely pleasurable to eat. And since it’s loaded with unhealthy fats and high calories, it’s also a sinful, forbidden food—which just makes it that much more appealing. Ultimately adding inches to our waistline and spiking our glucose levels. So one should take all the necessary steps to maintain a healthy lifestyle